Saturday, September 29, 2018

Nigeria's Tomato Situation


    Tomatoes are one of my best plants/fruits to grow. I love the experience from seed to maintenance to harvest upon harvest. Tomatoes are actual gold worldwide, especially in Nigeria which I know of, where it is always in high demand as it is a staple fruit/food. Most people can easily and should grow tomatoes for their household. I remember growing it absentmindedly as a child behind my house and also seeing it by the street sides till now.

    
      I'm quite concerned about the state of tomato. Nigeria has the climate all year round to grow tomatoes but unfortunately as usual inadequate or lack of post harvest management, storage, processing facilities and food wastage apparently costs Nigeria $15 billion in post harvest losses annually which is 45% or more of the harvest that is lost annually. 66 billion tonnes of tomato paste costing abt 15 billion annually is imported. Tomato scarcity is still a thing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      We all know the solutions to this problem. The problem lies with the government, importers and people/consumers and I'm sure many other inbetween problems. I don't know everything. All go hand in hand. Instead of always looking outward, ignoring and refusing to fix the problem why not just look inward. We have everything we need. I'm not even saying noone is doing anything about it. I'm sure things are happening
     Anyway I also went and dried some plum tomatoes and they taste amazing. In the oven of course for almost a day on veryyy low heat. In the sun would take about two weeks. even More concentrated flavor and still as nutritious. They keep for months. Soaked them in water to get them soft again. I chopped and fried, I blended, even had it raw. and it's been great.

#tomato #tomatogold #nigeria #foodsecurity #sustainability #tomatoscarcity #growyourownfood #driedtomatoes #postharvest #foodloss #foodwaste #zerowaste #agriculture #gardening #farming #stewardofthearth #lookwithin

No comments:

Post a Comment